Saturday, February 4, 2012

Little wonder. I distrust the rich.

I distrust people with lots of money. Yes, rich people. Admittedly, that makes me somewhat close-minded. But I'm of a mind that money tends to corrupt. Because money is power. And power corrupts, doesn't it? Of course, not all rich and powerful people are necessarily corrupt. Still, I'm inclined to assume guilt until proven innocent. If for no other reason than the nature of money. And the nature of people. People who get money, generally want more and more of it. That's my biased impression. They fall in love with money, and what it can buy. Even unnecessary things. And often, they lose track of what it's like to be poor. Most of 'em probably never were poor. They were raised with silver spoons in their mouths. Many of 'em are Republicans. And rank with the richest 1 percent in America. And many of 'em are in Congress. Making decisions that affect poor people and the middle class. I'd much rather see more ordinary Americans deciding our political and economic and social fates. More likely to serve the common good. Rather than the good of big business and the most affluent. But these days, we are compelled to consider corporations as individuals. Not the same as you and I. Because we are relatively impoverished. We are poor and middle class. The corporations are the ruling elite. They have the cash to back up their bark. The bark is loud and clear. Little wonder. I distrust the rich. --Jim Broede

No comments: