Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Makes me a survivor.

The world isn't what it used to be. It has changed. Dramatically. And it continues to change. And I don't know how to fully cope. Maybe I have to learn to adapt. Or is it possible that we earthlings find ways to change our political, economic and social systems? To fit the new world. I don't know. I don't have the answers. Maybe nobody does. We're all feeling our way. Maybe I'm in the best position of all. Because I'm retired. I'm 76. Nearing the end of my life. I'm sort of able to tread water. Stay afloat. Watching. Observing. Still able to live a life as a romantic idealist, a spiritual free-thinker, a political liberal, a writer, a philosopher, a psychoanalyst, a lover, a dreamer. All these things. Yes, I still have an imagination. I can create my own world. My cocoon. I am more or less taking life one day at a time. In a sense, I'm forced to. Because I don't know about tomorrow. The world is changing so fast that I can't rely on there being a solid tomorrow. One that I can predict. Therefore, I pursue my happiness now. Today. In this moment. I have an Italian true love. I just recently returned from Sardinia. Where I spent the winter. With my true love, of course. Because she's the major source of my happiness. Makes me feel like a lover. Which is what I want to be. Right up to the end. I'm assuming that's why I was put on Mother Earth. To love life. No matter what. I decided years ago that I can't change the world. Maybe I can only change me. In certain ways. No doubt about it. I've changed over the years. I'm a little bit different. Every day. Because life ain't static. It's ever-changing. And I'm learning to like the change. Because I have to. In order to be reasonably happy. If I began to hate the change and to hate the world, I might as well be dead. Better to make the best of it. By setting my priorities. First and foremost, I'm a lover. And next, I'm a dreamer. Makes me a survivor. --Jim Broede

No comments: