Sunday, February 26, 2012

The pursuit of happiness -- in hell.

Come to think of it, I probably could learn to live reasonably happy in any place. Even in hell. Even in a decadent America. By more or less ignoring what I don't like. I could even live in hell. If I could create an air-conditioned comfort. And if I was there with my Italian true love. One has to learn to compensate. To focus on the good things. Hell ain't necessarily 100 percent bad. Of course, this is all theoretical. I haven't yet been to hell. Albeit, I'm living in a decadent America. But still, I'm able to go for a walk in the woods and along a beautiful lake shore. And I eat well. And I'm in daily contact with my Italian true love. On Skype, a reliable audio/visual connection. So life ain't totally bad, even in a decadent America. Even with signs that the political and economic and social climate may worsen. I can still make a go of it. Goes to show that I'm a positive thinker. I have a good attitude. I get a bit down when I listen to the debates between Republican hopefuls for president. But still, I'm able to laugh. Over the stupidity of it all. Yes, there is humor in decadence. Black, dark humor. But humor nevertheless. And I'm still an alive and conscious being. Fully capable of pursuing a reasonable degree of happiness. Even in hell. Even in a decadent America. --Jim Broede

No comments: