Sunday, March 25, 2012

Better a duel at the OK Corral.

America is reviving the lifestyle of the Old Wild West. Where virtually anyone can become a gunslinger. In order to protect one's self. Take Florida, for instance. It's legal under a state law to shoot someone who may be perceived as a threat to your life. You can claim you did it in self-defense. That's how a teenager was killed. A neighborhood watch captain thought the unarmed 17-year-old was a threat. Maybe because he was black. So he shot him dead. And he ain't been charged with murder. Yet. And may never be. Thing is, many racists perceive anyone who's black as a threat. So, bang, bang, bang. Might as well kill him before he kills you. Yes, in America we have made killing too easy. Unfortunately, too easy to get away with. Thanks to the gun lobby. Which claims that our constitution provides for the right to bear arms. Even in Minnesota, it's legal for me to carry a concealed weapon. Virtually any place I go. To protect myself. Just like in the Old Wild West. Never know when one might happen across a threatening hombre. Guess it's supposed to give me peace of mind if I can pull out a Glock with a laser beam and shoot him dead. And if I'm in Florida, I can even shoot an unarmed black teenager and maybe get away with it. If I personally deemed him a threat. But seems to me that the cowboys in the Old Wild West would have given the teenager a better and fairer chance. By giving him a gun, and challenging him to a duel at the OK Corral. --Jim Broede

No comments: