Friday, March 16, 2012

The easiest path to happiness.

Maybe there's only one person I can make happy. Me. Ultimately, happiness stems from an attitude. An individual attitude. I see so very many unhappy people. But seems to me they don't have to be unhappy. They choose to. I've struck this theme often. Right here in my blog. Because I'm fascinated by the concept of happiness. It's one of my major pursuits. I can't stand to be unhappy. If I'm down in the dumps, so to speak, I find my way out. Pronto. I try to make other people happy. Mainly my friends. But I can't do it. They have to resolve to be happy. Themselves. I can't instill happiness in anyone but myself. I can suggest ways to become happy. But I can't impose happiness in another being. I know people that go into the doldrums. Frequently. Some of 'em would like to pull me down with them. But I refuse to go. Because it's against my nature. Maybe the miserably unhappy want company. Well, I give 'em company. But my kind of company. Happy stuff. Take it or leave it. It's their choice. Always their choice. I'm a good listener. Because I like to psychoanalyze people. Especially unhappy people. Odd as it may seem, unhappiness makes some people sort of happy. They're masochists. They like to punish themselves. That's sort of sick. But hey, to each his/her own. For me, the easiest path to happiness is to fall in love. With someone. Or with something. I've been in love with life for a long, long time. --Jim Broede

No comments: