Wednesday, March 21, 2012

How to spend a worthwhile day.

A visit to a wildlife rehabilitation center in the Sonoran Desert made my day. Because I saw mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, fox, hawks, a great horned owl and -- not least -- the fascinated facial expressions of my great grandson and great granddaughter. They were excited and enthralled by it all. At ages just under 2 and 4. Taking youngsters to see the wonders of nature is a good start at education. So stimulating. Of course, I'm stimulated, too. As a 76-year-old great grandpa. And I put the emphasis on great. Because I feel great. I could spend the day being captivated by the animals. Including my two pet cats, Loverboy and Chenuska. Anyway, I want youngsters to grow up knowing that life is wonderful. Despite the shit that happens every day. Somewhere in the world. But still, that shouldn't stop anyone from savoring the good stuff. Yes, it's virtually impossible to totally ignore the bad stuff. Especially if one reads the newspapers and watches TV. But still, I know how to spend a worthwhile day. With my great grand kids. --Jim Broede

No comments: