Monday, March 5, 2012

The real winners.

I was supposed to be watching the baseball game. A spring training exhibition game between the Chicago Cubs and Oakland Athletics. But it was a boring game. And I was more interested in the loving couple seated in front of me. He's as black as black can be. And she's as white as white can be. Which intrigues me. I like the color contrast. The racial mix. So nice. I wish there was more of it. Makes me feel good to see it. And I'd love to make contact with this couple. Interview them. To learn more about how they met. And what brought them together. In a loving way. And I'd like to know if other people they've encountered reacted the same way as me. Or if they were turned off by the racial mix thing. And reacted negatively. I wish we were all colorblind. Skin color shouldn't make any difference. But it often does. With so very many people. With racists. Anyway, I didn't make contact with the couple. Instead, I respected their privacy. That would have pleased my Italian true love. She's big on privacy. But I'm curious. I want to know a lot of meaningful stuff about people. I have an inquiring mind. This time I didn't intrude. The couple might have told me to mind my own business. But maybe not. Perhaps the couple would have been forthcoming. And satisfied my innate curiosity. Guess I'll never know. And I'll always have regrets. Because I didn't find out. All I know is that I like the couple. They made my day. The Cubs didn't. Because they lost the game, 8-7. But that couple. They're real winners. --Jim Broede

No comments: