Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cruising in a spiritual paradise.

It's the most hauntingly beautiful spiritual music I've ever heard. The Don Cossack choir/chorus. Singing/chanting the liturgical music and divine requiem mass of the Russian Orthodox Church. I became acquainted with the music when I was a youngster. On the Decca label. Two phonograph records. And I listened. Hundreds of times. Mesmerized. Hypnotized. A true spiritual experience. I don't know what happened to the records. Probably wore out. And I've looked for a transcription. On CDs. And haven't found one. Though I do have the music performed by other groups. But still, it's not quite the same as the Don Cossacks. I was pleasantly reminded of the music today. When I purchased, for 50 cents, a used CD of sacred chants for soloists and male choir. Performed by the 'Orthodox Singers' choir/chorus. Featuring soloist Irina Arkhipova, a mezzo-soprano. Listened on my battery-operated CD player while riding my bicycle. Today. Cruising in a spiritual paradise. --Jim Broede

No comments: