Sunday, April 29, 2012

Gonna keep being neighborly.

Larry and Jane seem to be a nice couple. They live about 10 or 12 doors down from me. On another street. Wasn't until a week ago that I learned their names. Though they've lived in the neighborhood for years and years. They used to have greyhound and collie dogs. And they walked 'em daily. We passed each other. Maybe hundreds of times. Waved. Exchanged brief greetings. But never got to know each other. I never bothered to learn their names. Until I finally asked. Because I'm on a mission. To get to know the names and something about my neighbors. Yes, people living within a half-mile radius of me. Noticed Larry was walking a different dog. But turns out it's not his dog. Belongs to a neighbor. And Larry is doing the neighbor a favor. Larry's charming collie was put to sleep a while back. So Larry and Jane don't have a dog any more. Unless one counts the neighbor's dog. Maybe the neighbor is on vacation. I didn't ask. But I chatted with Larry. He and Jane spent much of the winter away. In Hawaii. And on a trip east. To visit his son. In Philadelphia, I think. I'm gonna keep learning more about my neighbors. All of 'em. Not only their names. But other interesting tidbits, too. --Jim Broede

No comments: