Monday, April 9, 2012

The family.

I have a neighbor who bad mouths a guy living a half-mile away. Because the guy is 31 years old, and still lives with his parents. And he's unemployed. 'He ought to find a job,' my neighbor said in a disparaging way. As if the guy was a lazy bum. Mooching off his parents. Not understanding that in today's economy some people are having difficulty finding work and making ends meet. But my neighbor's opinion is that anyone who wants to work can find a job. My neighbor, I assume, votes Republican. If he votes at all. Anyway, the guy he's talking about was my house-sitter when I spent autumn and winter in Italy. Tended to my two cats. And did other things around the house. Made the place look lived in. Rather than vacant. My neighbor said the guy didn't show up as often as I thought. Implying that he isn't reliable. But I don't believe my neighbor. I have faith in the guy. My cats seem to have been well-fed and well-taken-care-of in my absence. They didn't lose any weight. And they look healthy. And the place was in good shape when I returned. The guy also has been picking up odd jobs, caring for lawns and handy-man stuff, while unemployed. And he's helping his parents build a summer retreat home in Wisconsin. Reminds me a lot of Italians. They tend to have close-knit families. Helping each other. Especially in times of need. That's really Italy's social welfare system. The family. --Jim Broede

No comments: