Sunday, April 22, 2012

Please, don't give me my clone.

If I had twins, they'd be encouraged to go their separate ways. To not be too close. Because I want them to be independent beings. Not to rely on each other. Rather to rely on themselves. Maybe I'm biased. Because the last person I'd want to live with is my clone. We'd be too much alike. In my opinion, that ain't good. Twins and clones might be having an endless debate. With each other. Fortifying each other. Thinking too much alike. Instead of presenting diverse points of view. I'd see to it that my twins went to separate elementary schools, separate high schools, separate colleges. I'd even like to see them choose separate kinds of careers. Separate lives. Separate friends and acquaintances. Presumably, for their own sake, their own good. Seems to me that twins have the potential to stifle each other. To become too close. I'm aware of particular teen-age twin boys. Seems they do harm to each other. By supporting each other in deviant ways. They don't challenge each other. Because they think too much alike. Granted, they may follow similar/same paths even if separated at birth. But still, they would have a better chance at independence if separated to some reasonable degree. I'd rather see them grow up as if they weren't twins. But merely brothers. Going on to significantly different life experiences. Believe me, I could live without a duplicate copy of myself. What about you? --Jim Broede

No comments: