Tuesday, April 10, 2012

To love. Despite everything.

I don't mind stirring up trouble. By letting my friends and acquaintances know what's on my mind. Even if it rubs them the wrong way. I'll take issue with them. Over virtually anything. Especially politics. In my neighborhood, I have little respect for the political inclinations of many. It's bad enough to be a Republican. But many of 'em are the worst kind of Republican. Ultra conservative. They vote for the likes of Michelle Bachmann. And they look with disdain on Barack Obama. Maybe because he's black. Maybe some of 'em think he's a secret Muslim. Or that he wasn't even born in the USA. Some of 'em are holier-than-thou Christians who think I'm headed for hell. Because I'm a free-thinker. I personally frown on organized religion. I accept the notion of a god. But nothing like the vengeful god that would create hell. My god saves everyone. Even atheists. My god is open-minded. And flexible. And has a good sense of humor. My god is truly a god of love. And he's very accesible. And reasonable. I can have a conversation with him. At any time. And he tells me to be a lover. To love my neighbors. Despite everything. --Jim Broede

No comments: