Monday, April 9, 2012

The pursuit of happiness.

I like my Italian experience. Being able to live in Italy. For half of the year. And maybe, if I so choose, making Italy my permanent home. Could be. If ultra conservative Republicans gain control of America. The only drawback is not being able to speak fluent Italian. At my age, I may never master Italian. But still, I'm able to savor Italy and the Italians. I like 'em. Plus, I live in Sardinia. A paradise. And the home of my Italian true love. And she not only speaks English. She teaches English and English literature. Sardinia is an island. The second largest in the Mediterranean Sea. About 120 miles off the Italian boot. Only an hour's flight from Rome. And just south of the French island of Corsica, the birth place of Napoleon. When my dear wife Jeanne died of Alzheimer's five years ago, I never dreamed that my life would take an extraordinary turn. Falling in love with an Italian. Yes, a second love in my life. After 38 years of marriage. So instead of merely marking time for the rest of my life, I'm truly living. To the fullest. In love. Just the way life is supposed to be. And I've learned to take life one day at a time. Savoring every day, every moment. That's something Jeanne taught me. The pursuit of happiness. --Jim Broede

No comments: