Monday, May 28, 2012

I'm gonna trick the baseball gods.

Now that I'm pulling for the Cubs to lose, they win. They broke their 12-game losing streak. To my disappointment. I wanted them to set the record for the longest losing streak in Cubs' history. They fell two games short of tying the record. Maybe the baseball gods allowed the Cubs to win because I wanted the Cubs to lose. The gods insist on teaching me a lesson. Never giving me what I want. Instead, they give me the opposite of what I want. A loss when I want the Cubs to win. And a win when I want the Cubs to lose. Maybe it's that the baseball gods don't like me. I must have offended them once upon a time. And they ain't gonna forgive me. Instead, they are inflicting eternal punishment on me. But maybe I can trick the gods. By pretending I want the Cubs to lose. All the time. The baseball gods might decide then to allow the Cubs to get into the World Series. Just to teach me a lesson. If that happens, I will have duped the baseball gods. Anyway, I've always sensed that the baseball gods aren't too smart. --Jim Broede

No comments: