Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Love: A cure for the doldrums.

Makes me feel good when I've played a role in making someone happy. Did that recently. Wasn't me that accomplished the feat. I can only make myself happy. But I'm able to occasionally convince a friend/acquaintance to become happy. But it's him/her that has to perform the act. To live life in a way that brings about personal happiness. Unfortunately, some people don't wanna be happy. Or they don't know how. Or they're scared. Because happiness sometimes requires a major life change. Getting out of a bad marriage/relationship, for instance. Or finding another job. Or moving away. Maybe even living a solitary life. It takes courage to move on. To diligently pursue genuine happiness. Because often there's some risk involved. Such as a loss of security. Some people merely want to play life safely. Very safely. Even if it means staying in an unhappy situation. Yes, I know people that don't put a premium on happiness. They accept living unhappily everafter. Maybe it's that they are in a rut. And they don't know how to get out. Or they don't have the initiative. The gumption. I often counsel unhappy people. Some of 'em tell me they are in depression. Maybe so. But I don't always buy it. Instead, they are mentally and emotionally lazy. They lack motivation. They have negative attitudes. About life, in general. Yes, that's it. They haven't fallen in love. With anything. Little wonder that they are unhappy. --Jim Broede

No comments: