Saturday, May 19, 2012

Savoring life.

I'm slowing down. Which happens. As one ages. Used to run a mile in 7 minutes. Won't ever achieve that again. As well as some other athletic/physical feats. But there's one thing I'm better at. Savoring. Whatever it is that I do. I bicycle 30 miles a day. And often walk eight to 10 miles a day. No, I'm not breaking any speed records. But I savor moving about. Staying active. Physically. Mentally, too. My 90-year-old friend Ed laments a little over being unable to perform like he did in his good old younger days. But I keep reminding Ed to savor whatever it is he does. For instance, when I visited Ed the other day, he was imbibing. Had a beer. And I encouraged Ed to savor every last sip. And Ed can't walk around the block any more. But hey, he can still ride his electric-powered motor scooter. That allows Ed to savor the motion. And the fresh air. Yes, one doesn't need everything. Life can be wonderful. Even at 90. Just savoring whatever it is that one's got. Namely, life itself. --Jim Broede

No comments: