Friday, June 8, 2012

It's a miracle.

Every day I listen to classical music. To other things, too. When I'm walking. Or biking. But mostly classical music. On the radio. Or on CDs. I have a collection of several thousand CDs. Mostly classical. Yesterday, I was listening mostly to Beethoven and Schubert. And that got me to thinking. About how nice it'd be to meet both composers. When they lived in Vienna. If only I could turn back the clock. I'm assuming that god could do that. Because god can do anything and everything. Or so I've been told. Interesting thing, too. Some historians claim that Beethoven and Schubert never met. Personally. Formally.That it's even possible that Beethoven wasn't aware of Schubert. Of course, Schubert would have been familiar with Beethoven's music. Beethoven was famous in his lifetime. Schubert not so well-known. He was more a recluse. And he didn't live very long. Died at 31. What a shame. Imagine what he would have produced. If he had lived as long as Beethoven, who made it to 56. Which is still considered relatively young today. But in the 19th century, that was longer than the average life expectancy. Anyway, the amazing thing is that I'm able to listen to Beethoven and Schubert daily. So easily. In that sense, Beethoven and Schubert are still very much alive. They speak to me every day. I can tune them in. Thanks to modern technology. Which makes me far more fortunate than people that lived when Beethoven and Schubert walked the streets of Vienna. I've walked those same streets, too. Makes me wonder if I touched the same ground that they touched. But one thing is for sure. They touch me. In spirit. Yes, they are very much alive. It's a miracle. --Jim Broede

No comments: