Friday, June 22, 2012

A matter of walking on water.

I have friends that tell me they'll never master the art of unconditional friendship. Or unconditional love, for that matter. Maybe it's all one and the same. Friendship and love. I suspect the 'unconditional' aspect of almost anything may be impossible. And that most, if not all of us, will never know. Because we aren't ever put to the ultimate test. Thank gawd. To the best of my knowledge, I've been put to tests. But never an ultimate test. I discovered that I was able to love my dear sweet wife Jeanne even when she had Alzheimer's. I never dreamed I could do it. But I found that I had more love buried deep in me than I ever imagined. Still, Alzheimer's isn't an ultimate test. It's a test. But it falls short of ultimate. I believe in love. Avidly. Ardently. Passionately. But unconditional love? Only gawd knows. Maybe it's only gawd that is capable of such a feat. And even then, there's some doubt that gawd can achieve the unconditional. In organized religions, gawd always seems to be establishing conditions. For just about everything. Maybe that's why I steer clear of organized religions. Their gawds are far too limiting. Some of 'em are even vengeful gawds. Which seems to be a far cry from unconditional love/friendship. Anyway, I am bemused by 'friends' that tell me they are gonna put 'conditions' on friendship. As for me, I try to make a friendship unconditional. Because I wanna believe in the impossible. Seems to me that's a part of being a romantic idealist. It's a matter of walking on water. --Jim Broede

No comments: