Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Maybe the sky will fall.

I tell my Italian true love to not worry. To be happy. To be an optimist. Despite what could become a worldwide economic depression. She has a tendency to think that the sky is falling. And maybe this time she's right. That makes me the pessimist. I don't like what I'm seeing in Europe. The lack of a united effort to fortify the euro zone. Not enough is being done to save the European Union. Because there are 17 disparate units of government in Europe. Going every which way. Rather than in a united way. In America, we have a single government. Although one suspects it's really divided. Republicans pulling one way. Democrats in another way. That could still be America's downfall. The lack of a united approach. But at least we Americans have an opportunity to meld the two political divisions. In Europe, it's gonna take blending 17 divisions. I'm for single, united big governments. Big enough to solve serious problems. And there's nothing bigger and more serious at the moment than the threat of a worldwide economic collapse. Believe me, it's gonna happen. Unless the world's politicians stop sitting on their hands. Yes, my Italian true love, maybe the sky will fall. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are 27 governments which are member of the European Union! What you mean are the 17 members of the Monetary Union.