Saturday, July 14, 2012

No secrets.

My tendency is to let things hang out. Moreso than most people. Which means I'm not very secretive. Maybe that's because I made a living as a journalist. As a writer for newspapers. I tackled politicians. Mostly on the local level. Mayors and city council members. At the grassroots level of government. Some of the more astute and ambitious local yokels made their way up the political ladder. To higher office. To the county and state and beyond. I even got into the game of local politics. Actively. For a short while. By getting elected to a three-year term on the local school board. Indeed, it was a worthwhile learning experience. Taught me to observe politics from inside. But decided I'd rather be on the sidelines. Rather than be immersed as an active, corrupted player. Better to be the spectator. The observer. One thing I discovered. Most people that get into politics have egos. In many instances, gigantic egos. That, more than anything, motivates 'em. The bigger the ego, the more likely that one will become a career politician. A true blue political manipulator. Many politicians could pursue alternate careers. As actors. They learn how to play many roles. So much so that sometimes it's hard to tell who they really are. Little wonder that a B-grade professional actor made it all the way to the White House. By becoming A-grade. I suspect that many, many of the world's political leaders, with a bit of professional training, could become first-class Shakespearean actors. No doubt about it, one needs acting abilities to fully succeed in the political realm. I'm fully capable of acting. But I don't particularly like doing it. Because I have the ultimate urge to be my self. My true self. It's all right to fake it. For a little while. For amusement sake. But hey, I want my friends to see the real me. No secrets. --Jim Broede

No comments: