Saturday, July 21, 2012

No time for the 'big things.'

A dear friend wants me to make a big difference. To find a way to effect significant change on the world stage. Yes, I'm supposed to think big. But I prefer thinking small. Because small things are my personal big things. I fully understand/comprehend that I have no control over commonly accepted big things. Such as political, economic and social matters/issues. These sorts of things just happen. Doesn't matter what I think and do. My vote at election time, for instance, never counts. It wouldn't make any difference whether or not I went to the polls. My influence is limited to my little niche on planet Earth. At most, I influence a handful of friends and acquaintances. And my Italian true love. That's about it. I focus mostly on being a good lover. That's my prime mission in life. It isn't to be a politician or a revolutionary or a big player. I settle for being a romantic idealist, a political liberal, a free-thinker on spiritual matters and a dreamer. Those small roles suit me. But first and foremost, I'm a lover. Of life. And of my true love, of course. That keeps me delightfully occupied. Gives me no time for the so-called 'big things.' --Jim Broede

No comments: