Wednesday, July 4, 2012

On knowing illustrious Ed.

My 90-year-old friend Ed Hinrichs was the grand marshal today in the annual July 4th parade in Forest Lake. Which means he rode in a convertible at the head of the parade. And waved to everybody. But not me. Because I wasn't there. I haven't been to the July 4th parade for at least 25 years. I'm not motivated by parades. Especially patriotic parades. But I was tempted to go. To catch a glimpse of Ed. In his star role. Which he richly deserves. Because he's a living World War II veteran. They are becoming few and far between. Some day, there won't be any of 'em left. I've lived long enough to have seen living Civil War and World War I veterans. They're all dead now. Fortunately, in order to see Ed, I don't need to attend a parade on a record hot day in Minnesota. Instead, I go directly to Ed's home. He's my neighbor. Imagine that. I know the illustrious Ed Hinrichs, World War II vet. --Jim Broede

No comments: