Saturday, July 28, 2012

The rabbits set a good example.

Complaining about life gets one only so far. At some point, one must stop complaining. And get on with life. In pursuit of happiness. Used to be that I complained endlessly about the unchangeable things. Such as weather and politics. Still do complain. But less and less. Instead, I keep searching for things which I love. And at the top of my list is life itself. So I've learned to savor something. Every day. Doesn't matter if something goes wrong. Because I can always find something that has gone right. And that's my focus. Often, it's little things. Such as a moment of pleasure. I've put peanuts out on my deck. And I'm watching a tiny red squirrel fetch 'em, one by one. He picks up the peanuts, rolls 'em over in his paws and then romps off. To bury the peanuts. To stash 'em away when times may be tough. Yes, his way of opening a savings account at the peanut bank. Meanwhile, I've tossed out some fresh carrots. Waiting for the next show. Rabbits coming on stage. Unlike the squirrels, they eat the carrots on the scene, right away. Too many to eat all at once. So they go home. And come back again when they are hungry. The rabbits have faith that the carrots won't go away in their absence. Knowing full well that the squirrels don't eat carrots. But even if the squirrels did, the rabbits wouldn't complain. They set a good example for me. To stop complaining. And just enjoy life. One day at a time. --Jim Broede

No comments: