Friday, August 3, 2012

A friend and an acquaintance.

I know two kinds of Catholics. Very liberal. And very conservative. Two people I see almost every day. A friend. And an acquaintance. The friend is a very liberal Catholic. Accepts me unconditionally. Despite me being a free-thinking non-Christian. Doesn't make any attempt to change me. I like that. The very conservative Catholic, an acquaintance, says I'm going to hell. Wants to convert me. To save me from hell. I find that funny. And it's another good reason why one is a friend, and the other, a mere acquaintance. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

David said...

While you say that the acquainted (read: non-friend?) person you mentioned may believe that your soul needs redemption. I understand that you may not agree with his theocratic stance, but try to see it from his perspective.
Rather than saying your soul is doomed which is what I think you're hearing. He cares enough to keep mentioning it...
Maybe I'm misreading your post, but I hear you saying that you will befriend a Christian as long as they don't share their belief system with you; to me that seems short sighted. In fact (well I actually don't have any facts other than what you wrote) I would say the "evangelizing" acquaintance might be (in his own way) a better friend because he cares enough about you to keep bringing it up.
I realize I'm playing Devil's advocate, and that a lot of self named "Christians" evangelize due to their "moral superiority"...just thought I'd try to bring a different point of view to your blog post...
Have a great weekend!