Sunday, August 19, 2012

Am I a liar or a truth-teller?

I retired early. From my job as a writer. In the news media. Thank gawd for retirement. Because I had to get out. For two reasons. Mainly, to care for my dear sweet wife, Jeanne. She had Alzheimer's. But the second reason was that I was beginning to despise the news media. The news business. Because in an effort to be 'fair,' the news media was giving equal time and space to the political liars. That was supposed to be 'fair and balanced.' No, it isn't. Because lies eventually become the truth in the minds of too many. Lies begin to prevail. Yes, that's what happens in so very many political campaigns. We Americans have difficulty separating fact from fiction. Many of us will believe almost anything. The preposterous. The lies. Look at the political ads and commercials, my fellow Americans. Many of you buy what you wanna buy. Doesn't matter if it happens to be filthy, despicable lies. You'll believe good is bad and that bad is good. That's what the lying politicians are good at. Telling lies and making it all seem like the truth. America has been built on a foundation of lies. And the biggest lie of all is that America is the greatest nation on Earth. Believe me, it ain't so. Does that make me a liar or a truth-teller? --Jim Broede

No comments: