Friday, August 31, 2012

They aren't strangers any more.

Occasionally, I get advice. Don't cultivate strangers. Especially on the first meeting. But I hardly ever follow such advice. Because I wanna know something significant and personal about a stranger. Within the first 10 minutes. That's my nature. And I know how to go about it. I tell strangers something significant and personal about me. Right off the bat. And many strangers reciprocate. They volunteer stuff. And before long, we're talking significant things. Not mere small talk. But big stuff. Happens almost every time I travel. Because strangers abound. People I've never met before. Just the other day. My path crossed that of a total stranger. In Decorah, Iowa. Craig Newhouse. That's his name. He's an antique dealer. I stopped at his place. To ask for directions. Because I was lost. And before long, learned that Craig and I had a mutual acquaintance. In Forest Lake, Minnesota. And that Craig used to fish on my lake. The one I live on. Yes, it's a small and wonderful world. Getting to know strangers. And discovering, they really aren't strangers any more. --Jim Broede

No comments: