Thursday, September 20, 2012

An attitude adjustment.

One thing I've learned. It's far easier to affect my attitude. Than to affect the attitudes of others. For instance, I can compel myself to rarely, if ever, become angry. Because it's a personal choice. Yes, a choice. I can't choose for others. They have to do it themselves. Maybe I can help sway them. But ultimately, it ain't my choice. It's their choice. I've learned to allow people to annoy me. But not to anger me. Years and years ago, when I was an Alzheimer's care-giver, I became distraught. Upset. Almost on a daily basis. But gradually, I learned acceptance. And instead of being a crummy care-giver, I became a darn good one. I learned to take care of myself. I got respite. I conditioned myself to take on the responsibility of caring for and truly loving my dear sweet wife Jeanne. I had an attitude adjustment. --Jim Broede

No comments: