Sunday, September 16, 2012

I've never really had it bad.

It's a horrid thought. For me. If I have to live under a Republican administration headed by Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. But it's gotta be an even more horrid thought for black people and poor people. But then, maybe I would have been more distraught living in Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia. Thing is, I have to learn to adjust. No matter where I reside. And usually, I'm better off than most Americans. Because I'm a white male. We get preferential treatment. Better than being black or a woman. They've put up with hostility and discrimination over the generations. That especially goes for black people. They've never been totally free in America. Even after they were supposely set free after the Civil War. The Jim Crow South was almost as bad as slavery. And living conditions weren't all that much better for blacks in the North. Lucky for me that I've been a member of the white privileged class. Meanwhile, it's scary imagining what it's like being black in America. Or a Jew in Nazi Germany. In comparison, I've never really had it bad. --Jim Broede

No comments: