Saturday, September 15, 2012

Looking for a mermaid.

I like people that like solitude and the seaside. They escape to the sea. All by themselves. Because they need to be replenished. But in a real sense, they aren't alone. They commune with the spirits. My Italian true love went to the Mediterranean seaside today. Alone. No doubt, she took to the crystal clear water, too. She's a darn good swimmer. Swims like a mermaid. Though she modestly denies it. But still, there are multiple reports of mermaid sightings. I know a mermaid when I see one. Believe me. She's a mermaid. Meanwhile, I have difficulty floating on my back. She's trying to teach me. To relax in the water. But I'm like a rock. I sink to the bottom. Holding my breath. So I don't drown. I can hold my breath. For over a minute. Even longer than a mermaid. Though I suspect that a mermaid can breathe in the water. Sort of like a fish. Wish I could do that. So when I want solitude, I often find myself on a mountain top or in a primeval forest. Still, I like the seaside. Especially at sunset. When I walk along the beach. Looking for a mermaid. --Jim Broede

No comments: