Sunday, October 7, 2012

Now is all that matters.

I spend an hour a day with Ron. He's battling Alzheimer's. I take him for a walk. With his dog, Sasha. We have a good time. I make sure of it. Even when Ron isn't functioning very well. Yesterday, Ron was confused. So many bothersome things on his mind. Had to remind Ron that we're taking a walk now. That's our focus. The fresh air. The scenery. The exercise. Putting one foot in front of the other. Repeatedly. Time to put on blinders. Shut out everything else. Think happy. Ron was in dire need of good vibes. And that's all I exuded. Everything positive. And soothing. Ron caught the vibes. He came back relaxed. With an uncluttered mind. With a one-track mind. A single thought. A good, pleasant thought. That's the way I deal with Ron. One on one. Friend to friend. Every day I tell Ron I'm there to walk Sasha. But that Sasha won't come with me. Unless Ron comes, too. 'Sasha loves you,' I quip. 'She insists that you come. She won't go without you.' Ron smiles. He pets Sasha. And we take off. For a stroll of a mile and a half. A great opportunity to engage Ron in conversation. About living in the moment. Let's not worry about the past or the future. Now is all that matters. --Jim Broede

No comments: