Thursday, November 29, 2012

Don't wanna fake it anymore.

Nothing comes harder for me than learning another/second language. Particularly at my advanced age. And despite my professed love of words. Makes me wonder if I really love words that much. I know what I gotta do. Convince myself that Italian is an extension of English. That in learning Italian words, I’m merely expanding my overall vocabulary. I’ll pretend having the wherewithal to blend two languages into one. Imagine such power. I already know a gaggle of French words. Having taken two years of French in college. And I know a smattering of German. And some Czech words, too. So, I can sort of fake it with some people who aren’t natives of those countries. But I don't wanna fake it anymore. Especially when I’m in Italy. Also known as Italia. –Jim Broede

No comments: