Thursday, November 15, 2012

Italian pink ain't pink.

Pink ain’t true pink in Italy. Thank goodness.  My Italian true love’s building is getting a fresh coat of ‘pink’ paint. And some of the tenants raised a fuss. They  objected to ‘pink.’  I once imagined from my perch in Minnesota that they  had a legitimate gripe. Because I thought of pink as gaudy. The color displayed at Eastertime or to welcome a newborn baby girl. But upon my arrival the other day in the lovely city of Carbonia on the lovely  island of Sardinia, I happily proclaimed, ‘That’s no pink.’ Instead, it looked like a pale blend of amber and rose. Sort of like a light rose wine.  If that happens to be Italy’s version of pink – well, then give me Italian pink. I’ll take it.  A pleasant pink. Not gaudy. A nice thing about Italian buildings.  They are generally painted soft pastel colors. Soothing on the eye and the spirit.  A variety of beautiful blending colors. All in the same block.   Add that to the art deco design of many structures in Carbonia.  A model modern city created in the 1930s at the behest of Italian fascist dictator Mussolini. Of course, that was 80 years ago.  Times have changed. The 1930s are no longer modern. But I like it just the same.  Because it’s the hometown of my Italian true love. –Jim Broede

No comments: