Saturday, November 17, 2012

The essence of the good life.

Silvio Berlusconi represents everything vile and reprehensible about Italy. Therefore, many Italians were jubilant to see Berlusconi go after too many corrupt years as the country’s prime minister. But they aren’t  all that happy with his successor, Mario Monti.   No telling what’s gonna happen next.  I’ll  be watching. With great interest. While living in Italy. With my Italian true love. She would like to see a swing to the left. As would I. And so would a majority of Italians. Or so I suspect. Especially young Italians. The new, upcoming generation. Maybe that’s so all over the world. Young people have had their fill of greedy capitalism. Meanwhile, I’m feeling younger than ever.  Despite my 77 years. Maybe that’s what the Italian environment does for me.  Makes me more youthful.  A sense of living in Paradise. And in love. That’s the difference-maker. Makes it possible to focus on the grandeur of life. Good health. The pursuit of non-monetary happiness. And politic based on the common good. Not on the selfishness at the core of capitalism.  The new generation is fast-learning that less is more.  That sharing is better than  hoarding.  That love is the essence of the good life. –Jim Broede

No comments: