Thursday, November 29, 2012

When life truly begins.

Dislike having a boss. Until retiring some years ago, I was gainfully employed. Which meant catering to bosses. One way or another. Now I’m more or less free of bosses. I do pretty much as I please. As a writer. No boss/editor. Gives me a sense of fulfillment. Contentment. Satisfaction. Allows me to be unorthodox. To experiment. To take risks. Do things my way.  Freedom. Freedom, alas.  Too often in life, one is compelled to do things other people’s way. Oh, one can negotiate. Maneuver.  Persuade. But it’s nice sometimes to have to persuade only one’s self. To be one’s own being. I still listen to dictates of others. To society. To rules of law. But I’m also free to disobey. Albeit, that sometimes involves consequences.  Anyway, maybe it’s freedom that I have been pursuing all my life.  Freedom and happiness. Makes me wonder if it’s all the same. Happiness  interlocked with freedom.  Being a free spirit. Some day, maybe that can be taken literally.  Being a spirit that’s truly free. No longer linked to a physical being. Just spirit. Free to roam to any place in the cosmos. No limit.  Then maybe I’ll be able to declare beyond a doubt, ‘Freedom, alas!’ Maybe that’s when life truly begins. –Jim Broede

No comments: