Thursday, November 29, 2012

I could've been a linguist.

I’d fit into almost any society. If I spoke the native language as well as I speak and write English. Unfortunately, that will never happen. It’s taken me a lifetime to learn decent English. Enough to become expressive in meaningful ways.  And I’m running out of lifetimes. Actually, I have only one. Anyway, I’ve learned something meaningful. In this lifetime. That it would be a real plus if we all spoke the same language. Yes, a universal language. I suppose music comes closest.  My thanks  go to the creator. For linking me with an Italian who speaks English.  Otherwise, I’d be at a loss in Italy. She’s become my true love and trusted and vital translator.  She’s my key link with Italian people. Soon, she’ll start translating some of my blog pieces into Italian. I’ll study the translations. And maybe that’ll help me learn more rudimentary Italian.  If I were raising children today, I’d see that they were enrolled in multiple language courses at very young ages. Chinese. Russian. Czech.  German. French. Italian. If my parents had done that for me, it would have been a blessing. Instead, they hauled me off to Sunday School. Maybe that was a blessing, too.  Made me a free-thinker.  I suspect language school would have made me a boundless linguist and more understanding of other cultures.  –Jim Broede

No comments: