Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A sweeping desire.

Saw a street sweeper today. Don’t know if he was an amateur.  Or a professional. There are both kinds where I’m living. In Italy. Maybe Italians have an innate skill and desire. To sweep streets. Often, with thatched brooms. They look homemade, and probably are.  Maybe street sweeping is a labor of love. It was the day after Christmas, and this guy was out sweeping the street. By the curbside. Most of the professionals have push carts. For their brooms and  canisters for street debris. The sweeper I spied had no push cart. Which means he may be an amateur. Merely out to tidy up in front of his  apartment building. For the holidays. I think the professionals had the day off. I may have Italian blood in me. Because I have an overwhelming compulsion.  To pick up a broom. And start sweeping.  My Italian true love says the world would be better off if I tidied our abode. With a vacuum cleaner and a wet mop. –Jim Broede

No comments: