Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Life is good even when it's bad.

I thrive on crisis. And heartbreak. That is, if it happens to other people. Not to me. Because it’s often easier grasping a situation from the sidelines. As an observer.  And I can relate it to my actual similar experiences. Often of long ago. Elapsed time gives me an opportunity to be more objective.  I can relate to families coping with suicide. Because my father committed suicide when I was 13. That was 64 years ago. I have learned to talk about suicide in a calm, cool and collected manner. I am able to perceive my father’s suicide as a blessing. Yes, a very good decision on his part. And good for the family,  too.  Time has a tremendous healing effect.  Gives one a better grasp of life and reality and the coping mechanisms. When my dear beloved Jeanne had a 13-year siege with Alzheimer’s,  it once seemed like a horrific experience. For both of us. But I learned the art of care-giving. Of real, unconditional love. Took time. But now I look at the several blessings wrought by Alzheimer’s.  Turns out that life is good. Even when it’s bad.  –Jim Broede   

No comments: