Friday, December 21, 2012

Makes me proud to be me.

I’ve learned to define myself. Rather than allowing others to define me. Early in life, others defined me. My parents. My teachers. Older people generally.  But at some point, I took charge. And the older I get, the more defining I get. Know thyself. That’s what I try to do.  When I meet a stranger, I’m defining myself almost from the start. Before he/she has a chance to jump to erroneous conclusions.  And I ask strangers to define themselves, too. Many of ‘em can’t.  They haven’t yet decided. Though many of ‘em have already lived more than half of their lives. Yes, without knowing. Some of ‘em will die without ever really knowing themselves.  Meanwhile, here I am. Romantic idealist. Spiritual free-thinker. Political liberal. Dreamer. Lover. Wow! What a conglomeration.  Makes me proud to be me. –Jim Broede

No comments: