Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The grand/glorious Sardinian way.

I have a favorite walking route.  More or less circular. Takes me about two miles. I often repeat it five or six times a day. Takes me through the heart of my city. Carbonia,  in Sardinia. I leave the house on Via Dalmazia and finagle to Carbonia’s palm-tree lined main street, Via Gramsci. I head south to spacious and wide open Piazza Roma, west past a lovely and quaint city park with a 30-geyser fountain and a monument to coal miners. I weave my way to Piazza Italia, essentially a glorified parking lot. Where I turn north on Via Trieste, which blends into Via Dalmazia.  Often, I bring along a book. So I can take breaks. On metal benches spaced nicely on Via Gramsci or wooden benches scattered in the fountain park. If it rains, I can find shelter under a covered walk way at the south end of Gramsci. Or I can duck into one of several coffee bars and have an espresso or a cappuccino. I hardly ever imbibed coffee. Until moving to Italy. Coffee and wine. It’s  part of  becoming Italianized. Last week, a line of about 20 white domed tent-like booths were erected along the south end of Gramsci. Where one can buy Christmas-related knick-knacks, many of ‘em handcrafted by local artisans.  Meanwhile, I’m walking in a light jacket. No snow in Sardinia, and no prospect for snow or freezing temperatures. No white Christmases around here. Instead, I'll happily settle for Yule  the grand/glorious Sardinian way. –Jim Broede

No comments: