Thursday, January 31, 2013

An essential part of my life.

I can’t make people happy. Ultimately, they have to make themselves happy. I can coach them. And make suggestions. And set an example. But they also need  an innate desire to be happy. Some have it. Some don’t. I know people who absolutely refuse to be happy. Happiness could hit them over the head, and still they’d resist. Maybe it’s their cold, cold hearts. They can’t find warmth inside themselves. The happiness feeling. Doesn’t mean they’re suicidal. Or depressed. It’s just that their highs are geared in neutral. Not low. Not high. Could be that they are scared by the concept of happiness. That it’s too extreme. Too hard to achieve. And that if it’s ever attained, it’ll be devastating to some day lose it. Better to never have full and complete happiness. Of course, I find that strange. Because I almost always find ways to hold on to happiness. And if it eludes me, it’s not for long. I’m able to retrieve it all. Believe me, I’m not scared by happiness. It’s an essential part of my life.  –Jim Broede

No comments: