Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Doing as I damn well please.

Don’t tell me I can’t do something. That is, if you truly don’t want me to do it. Because then I’m more likely to do it. Because I’m obstinate. Stubborn. I’ll forge ahead. And perhaps do it. To defy you. It’s a game I play. With you. With me. With the creator himself. I don’t mind breaking rules. Often in little ways. Jaywalking. Walking with an open metal handle umbrella in a thunderstorm. Or maybe walking without an umbrella, when I should be using one to keep dry. Donning unfashionable clothes. Going several days without shaving. Doing things my way, even though it annoys some of my friends. Talking incessantly when people want me to be quiet. Being quiet when people want me to talk. Being funny when I’m supposed to be serious. Being serious when I should be funny. Going out sleeveless on a cool day. Writing about subjects you don’t want me to write about.  Doing as I please. Despite howling protests. –Jim Broede

No comments: