Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I'd teach for the mere pleasure.

Must be fascinating teaching English and English literature. To Italian teenagers. That’s how my Italian true love makes a living. Maybe I’m a bit jealous. I’d like to teach those teenagers something about  English. American English. I’d find ways to fascinate the hell out of ‘em. Turn them on. Enthrall ‘em. Maybe make them wish to come to America. To practice their English. Or at least make them want to travel to other English-speaking countries. Of course, no certainty that I’d be welcomed into Italian high schools.  Maybe I’m not qualified to teach. I’d like to be invited. As a guest teacher. For a day or two. Maybe a week. I’d give a guarantee. That I’d do a bang-up job of teaching. My way. Which is to make learning a language and literature rollicking good fun. Especially for Italian youngsters with a desire to become bilingual. I’m guessing that my Italian true love has some pretty bright and motivated students. Because they have opted to take English and English literature. Some of ‘em for five solid years. It’s gonna open many doors for these students. To universities. But also for travel and jobs abroad. Real opportunities. That’s important. Because Italy has a high unemployment rate. Even the well-educated have difficulty finding work. Maybe they can find jobs in America. Or Britain. They certainly have an edge if they speak English. And if they get to know people like me. I’d try to help them find jobs. Believe me, I’d buoy their spirits. If only I could enter their classrooms for a few days. Hey, maybe I’m a natural born teacher. Let me give it a try. I can write pretty good English. The question is, can I teach pretty good, too? I think so. If given a chance. Invite me in, dear Italians. You won’t be sorry. Another thing. I work for free. Good teachers thrive on the mere pleasure of teaching. –Jim Broede

No comments: