Saturday, January 26, 2013

Guess it's a tie, after all.

Marj is my second most favorite cousin. Just told her that today. I’m sure she’ll take the news all right. Because Marj has a sense of humor. One of the many things I like about Marj. Haven’t seen Marj in a long time. But we stay in touch. On the phone. And by email. Marj is beautiful. And she has a maiden surname to prove it. Nadherny. The Czech word for beautiful. In the grand and exquisite sense. That’s Marj all right. I’m sure. Even though she’s into her 80s. She’s probably aged well. Introspectively. She’s learned to handle life. The ups and downs. Her husband was a microbiologist. Died a few years ago. Marj wouldn’t mind meeting someone. And falling in love again.  Much like me. I’m on my second true love. Living with her in Italy. Marj and her husband used to spend summers in Switzerland. Marj is from Chicago. Where she lives now.  Maybe this summer my Italian true love and I will go visit Marj. Take her out for dinner. And to a Chicago Cubs game. As a teenager, I often spent several weeks of summer with Marj’s parents, Fred and Martha. In a Chicago suburb, Berwyn. I’d go to Cubs games virtually every day. Sat in the bleachers. Tickets in those days cost only 60 cents. Yes, many fond memories with the Nadhernys. Come to think of it, maybe I have to rethink my cousin rankings. And make Marj my favorite. In the thread below this, I picked my German cousin Fritz Broede as No. 1. Yes, I’ve just reconsidered/reevaluated. Fritz and Marj. They’re tied for the most favorite. –Jim Broede

No comments: