Tuesday, January 29, 2013

More of Italy's endless art forms.

Don’t pretend to have complete insight into the Italian mind. But suspect that to a significant degree, Italians consider ugly to be beautiful. For instance, graffiti is sprawled all over the place. Over virtually everything. On buildings. On stone walls. On lampposts. I can’t walk a block without sighting graffiti. Little is done to erase. To clean it up. I suppose, in part, because it’ll only reappear again. Maybe in a more gross way. I’m certain that some Italians consider graffiti extraordinarily beautiful. An art form. That especially goes for adolescents and teenagers. With artistic flair. And really, some of it ain’t half bad. But 90 percent of it – well, I’d not call it art. But hey, I’m willing to give the benefit of doubt. Especially when it comes to the Italians’ love and embrace of the ramshackle. Buildings that look old and cruddy and in an advanced state of disrepair. Places deemed quaint. Even the old historic buildings containing graffiti. I have yet to be to Florence. Generally considered the art capitol of Italy. And I’m wondering if the art in Florence includes graffiti. I expect so. Because the people of Florence are Italian, too. Maybe even garbage has become an expression of art. Garbage dumped along roadways. Heaps of bulging black plastic bags. Arranged in undulating piles. With a foul aroma. To my nose. But maybe perfume for others. Where does all the garbage and litter come from? Must be Italian-made. Another of Italy’s endless art forms. –Jim Broede

No comments: