Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Something nice about Carbonia.

My Italian true love likes to play it safe. And not risk theft out of our 1986 Fiat. So when we purchased a new plug-in electric oven last night and left it in the backseat of the parked car for two hours, I was assigned to keep watch. While my Italian true love attended a meeting. I paced back and forth along a long block. Never supposed to lose complete sight of the Fiat. Though I did. Because it was dark. Fortunately, there was no theft. And I didn’t expect there would be any. I think of Carbonia as relatively crime-free. Lots of honest and trustworthy Sardinians. No signs of the Mafia around Carbonia, a city of 30,000 inhabitants.  Which makes me think that my true love is overly concerned. I would have risked keeping the car parked there overnight. With the package still safe and sound. But I acquiesced. Since she’s the native. It’s her hometown.  She should know. ‘The economy is bad and people are out of work,’ she said. ‘Some of ‘em are desperate.’ But I’m inclined to believe not desperate enough to steal. I asked if she ever had any direct experience of a crime. No, she hadn't. Guess she wants to take protection against a first experience. Anyway, this tells me something nice about Carbonia. Very nice. –Jim Broede

No comments: