Thursday, February 21, 2013

Adjusting. Balance or no balance.

My Italian true love yearns for a balanced life. At least when she goes to school. To teach. She doesn’t like teaching five classes in a day. Which happens twice a week. Today, she has only two classes. She’d rather have things even out.  Maybe three or four classes every day. Instead of the great variance. Of course, it wouldn’t matter to me. I readily adjust to imbalanced days. Some days, I write more than on other days. I adjust. Based on my mood. Of course, if I were a teacher, adjusting might be different. Maybe some days I wouldn’t feel like teaching five classes. But I might have no choice. Fortunately, I live by the schedule of a retiree. Flexibly. If I don’t feel like writing, I don’t have to. But still, I pretty much choose to write. Daily. Because I don’t have to. That puts me in a good frame of mind. I write because I don’t have to write. That’s when writing comes easy. No pressure. Therefore, I enjoy writing. Maybe if I had a job, and I was required to write five stories a day, I’d find that more difficult. But if I genuinely loved to write, that would make it easier. Same goes for teaching, I suppose. If one loves to teach, it comes relatively easy. If one hates to teach, it might be a chore. As  for my true love, I think she’s in love. With life. That makes it easier to adjust. To whatever happens. Balance or no balance. –Jim Broede

No comments: