Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I could become a spy.

I walk pretty much the same routes. Daily. Oh, I vary ‘em. Find new routes, too. But essentially, I cover the same ground. And though people may see me as a familiar face, they don’t stop to ask, ‘Who am I?’ Which seems strange. Wouldn’t happen in the U.S. If nothing else, the cops would inquire. ‘What’s he doing here? Is he a terrorist casing the joint?’ After all, I’m wearing a choker and a headband. I could easily cover my face. And at least look like a potential bank robber. Anyway, I suspect that Americans may be more curious than Italians. Or maybe it’s that Italians mind their business. And allow strangers a great deal of latitude. My Italian true love tries to discourage me from wearing a headband. She says that makes me conspicuous. Because nobody else does. It’s unfashionable. She thinks I’m being observed. Discreetly. But I wonder about that. Maybe I’m seen as just another wandering Italian. A natural part of the landscape. If so, I could become a spy. –Jim Broede

No comments: