Monday, February 25, 2013

On becoming a confident writer.

To be good at anything, one needs to be confident. Or so I think. That especially goes for writing. I wasn’t always confident. But I’ve cultivated confidence. Especially since I retired. I became my own editor. Should have done that long ago. Following my instincts. Crafting a writing style that feels comfortable. For me. Putting faith in my ability. Feeling my way. With confidence. And practicing, practicing, practicing. Writing every day. I like what I write. Doesn’t bother me to be criticized. I’ll listen to criticism. But I don’t necessarily accept it. I do what pleases me. That’s a far better approach than pleasing other people. But something nice has happened. I’m getting positive unsolicited response. People who aren’t writers are pleased. With my style. And my words. And thoughts. Little wonder that I’m becoming more confident every day.  –Jim Broede

No comments: