Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Different in very nice ways.

I know Germans. I know Italians. I know Americans. I’ve spent time in all three countries. And I’m wondering if there’s a difference in nationalities. Or if we are all essentially the same. Well, for one thing, there’s a language difference. And maybe, in general terms, there’s a difference in national traits. Germans tend to be more efficient. More organized. Maybe it’s that they are more rigid. Willing to follow a schedule. Italians are more laid-back. More casual. More easy-going. More manipulative in coping with the bureaucracy. They also live at a slower pace than the rest of us. And they talk with their hands. Maybe I’m too close to Americans to notice our traits. But I’m told by Italians that we are more competitive. More ego-driven. Fast-paced.  More arrogant.  But kind, too. As for me, I like Germans and Italians. Maybe more than Americans.  Because I sense they are different. In very nice ways. –Jim Broede

No comments: