Monday, April 15, 2013

A real nice and decent guy.

My friend Sherman’s life has gone awry. Happens to almost everyone. Sooner or later. Happened to me. When my dear wife Jeanne had a 13-year siege with Alzheimer’s. And died six years ago. But life is good again. I have cultivated a second true love. An Italian. And I split my time living in Sardinia and Minnesota. Meanwhile, I know what Sherman is about to experience. He just put his wife, Pam, into assisted living. She has dementia. Sherman is moving out of our Forest Lake neighborhood. Closer to St. Paul. So he can more easily visit and care for Pam. Sherman, at age 55, is 10 years younger than Pam. And willing to be a caregiver. He’s that kind of guy. But he’s doing it sensibly. Part-time. Rather than 24/7.  He knows his limits. Because of his own health problems. Diabetes. And a stroke survivor.  Sherman knows that he has to take care of himself. Because if he doesn’t, he won’t be able to care for Pam. I commend Sherman. He’s had a tough life. In part, because he’s black. An African American. He’s had to cope with discrimination of one kind or another all his life. But he’s managed. And in the process, he’s developed a positive attitude toward life. And become a real nice and decent guy. Has his priorities straight. Such as truly loving his wife.  Even in difficult times. –Jim Broede

No comments: